Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fiber overload and a naughty destash binge

I have so much fiber in queue right now. I swear, this is an illness!!

I still have my second Hobbledehoy SAL and a classic batt that I'm dying to spin! The Congress of Daleks SAL is next, and I already know what I'm going to do with it. That, however, will be featured in a future post. 

A month or two ago, I bought about 8 dyed roving braids from a nice lady on Etsy, and those are also waiting to be spun. Inspiration hasn't really struck me with those yet, though. There is one braid I think I'm going to put aside as a blending fiber, but the rest just need to sit there until I'm ready to spin them. There is a lot of potential, though! I got a great deal for some lovely fiber. 

I ALSO bought another Loop Bullseye Bump, and that will also be featured in another post. I bought a Spontaneous Spinning Cloud, too....because I have no self control. I recently went through the government shut-down, and instead of putting the fiber-buying to rest, I think it actually got worse. Do you want to know how I justified it?

Ravelry destash. 

It was too good to pass up, and this is what I got on Destash....


This is Kapalua Sunrise.These two batts total 3oz, and contain alpaca, bamboo, faux cashmere and firestar. They are originally from Camelot Dyeworks, which I will have to look up, because the colors are beautiful! I don't think the fiber was rinsed as well as it could have been, because my fingers have been turning red and there is an acidic odor. But I don't care! 

I loooove the color way. Each batt is gradient from deep red to bright orange. Since I'm into gradient fiber right now, I decided to do a gradient 2-ply.  I'm spun a single that transitions from red to orange/yellow from each batt. Then I plied each single together to get a gradient yarn. The gradient is pretty gradual, so even if my yardage is not even, I'll be able to Andean Ply the red ends together and use all my fiber.


Andean plying is awesome. I use this technique when I ply two bobbins together, and inevitably end up with more yarn on one bobbin. You wind the remaining singles around your wrist in a way that you can continue plying after you splice the ends together. 


I'm pretty happy with this finished yarn. It's thicker than my normal yarns, and it went by pretty quickly. I didn't think as much as I normally do while spinning, and it just naturally worked out. 


I haven't counted yards yet, because it still needs to soak and dry - I just hope it doesn't bleed too much!


Something I'm working on is spinning a thicker yarn. My "normal" is light fingering weight, so with this fiber, I'm really trying to relax and just spin a "sloppy" single. It's much harder than it should be! 


I also acquired this lovely 3.4 oz batt of everything from alpaca to mohair. I'm planning on doing a really light weight yarn with this one. I want the halo effect to really stand out with a thin 2 or 3 ply. I'll know for sure which ply I'll do when I get a closer look at the batt to see how the colors lay out. 


Finally, I also got a 5.5 oz Copperpot Woolies batt. I first learned to spin on her fiber and was so sad when she stopped selling due to illness. 

Right now I'm working on my Congress of Daleks Hobbledehoy SAL. I'm really excited about this one!!



No comments:

Post a Comment