Monday, October 21, 2013

Party Planning and the Mystery Batt

So this weekend was a busy one. I'm having a Halloween party next weekend, so there was a lot to do. I'm awful with planning events - it's way too nerve-racking. I end up stressed out and then I can't do anything. Between buying decorations, cleaning the house, and just overall stressing, I did find some time to finish my Mystery Batt I have titled Ice Queen.

I got really excited when I was down to my last 6 pre-drafted balls of fiber. I kept the balls in the same order as the fiber was carded into the batt. The colors significantly changed from one side to the other. (Blue - purple - white) I wanted to keep those colors in that order, since I knew I would n-ply.


I do my best spinning when the TV is on. I've been watching Private Practice on Netflix, and my boyfriend introduced me to American Horror Story. So while I was catching up on my shows this weekend, Ice Queen was finally all spun into singles. 



I did a thin single, and then n-plied from one bobbin on my tensioned lazy kate onto another one. I find this the easiest way to ply. Because of the tension, you don't end up with a mess of twirls and curls and knots on the single if you pull your single a little too hard for the ply. Once you find the right tension, you're set. That's another issue I've had with plying - if the tension is too tight, sometimes my single will break. I'm proud to say I had ZERO breaks with this skein. 


It's twisted for now, but still needs soaked. It is actually pretty balanced, so very little setting will have to happen. 


I'm just so happy with the colors! See what happens when you just let fiber do what it wants? Good things happen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment