Friday, October 11, 2013

Spin, spin, and spin some more...

I've been a busy lady lately. Inspiration always strikes me at random times, and when it does, it's like lightning. I get super obsessed with hobbies and then that's all I do.

My spinning hobby has been on and off for the last 6 years. It's been pretty "on" in some way or fashion for the last year. If it's not knitting, it's fiber prep/carding or spinning.  I've been going through spinning fiber like canned goods in a zombie apocalypse. I've had this stash I've built up over the years, and I'm finally starting to get it all into yarn-form. Yay! 

This stash consists of old batts I've purchased from my fellow Etsy artists, raw alpaca I bought (ahem...2...3 years ago?) that still needs soaked, dried and carded, blending fibers, un-dyed fibers....the list goes on. Oh, and that's just 2 of my plastic storage bins! The other two are full of handspun yarn. And then the other 4 are full of commercial yarn. It's a problem. I know. 

By the way. I love cats. My cats though? I think they have a vendetta against my love of squishy fibers. I have fiber and yarn stashed all over my house, because of a *certain* kitty of mine gets a hold of anything yarn or fiber related....it's soon to be scattered around the house. I've had a cat turn a beautiful hand-painted braid into a pile of...well, almost felted, knotted, shredded fiber. (Art yarn!!)


"What...me?! I'd never..." YEA RIGHT, CODA. 

Ahem. She has some jealousy issues. Anyways. 

My first wheel was a used Ashford Traditional I got from a spinning friend. It was in great condition for a 15 year old wheel. This was back in 2006, so she's even more aged now! A few years ago, I got tired of a single treadle and bought a brand new Kromski Minstrel. <3 With lots of oil, it is a great wheel. The jumbo flyer is wonderful for bulky yarns and plying. There's nothing worse than looking at a FULL standard bobbin, and realizing there's no way it's going to fit plied. 



Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a Schacht, or a Majacraft, but for now my Minstrel does me just fine. 

Follow me for fun spinning updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment